The Bergs

We are "The Bergs" Rich, Brie, Roman, and Griffin. Rich is in the United States Coast Guard. The Coast Guard has sent us from coast to coast of the US. We've lived in Portsmouth, VA Clearwater, FL Marinette, WI Cheboygan, MI Key West, FL and currently Seattle, WA. We are always looking for ways to keep in touch with friends and family whom we miss very very much everyday. Love To All. The Bergs

Saturday, August 29, 2009

PNW VACATION!

Just got back from our week long vacation. We had a amazing time!

**Quick Thank You to Nana Jorja for staying with the boys here in WA while we were gone. We all love you so much!

The first day we got up early and took the ferry over to Seattle. We'd been with the kids, but wanted to experience it as free adults! We took a few tours. First was the Seattle Underground Tour. It was really fun and we learned alot about how Seattle was born. Then we went on the SubSeattle Bus Tour. This tour took us around to the different neighborhoods of Seattle and our tour guide told us fun stories of murders and scandal that has taken place in Seattle.

Chief Seattle.
Totum Pole at Pioneer Square
Memorial Bench next to Kurt Cobain House, one of our stops on the SubSeattle Tour. This was the house he lived and died in. This bench replaced a bench that was completely covered with fan goodbyes, this one was nearly covered also.
Amazing granite sculpture at Volunteer Park. Isamu Noguchi's "Black Sun" The Japanese sculptor used the government check he received after Hiroshima to purchase a huge block of granite for this sculpture inspired by what he saw after the atomic bombings. You can see the Space Needle though the whole. Wish I would have thought to take a picture of the interesting dynamic group hanging out in foreground. Every eclectic group of all sorts that apparently all belonged a bicycle club.
Me at the top of the Space Needle.
Seattle from the Space Needle during the day.

Seattle from the Space Needle at night.


DAY 2/3. We drove to Pacific Beach Resort on the Washington Pacific Coast.
We just played and relaxed on the beach for 3 days.








The weather was so nice and warm we decided to lay on the beach and take a nap after taking in a afternoon movie. You can drive on the beach, so we found a good spot to park the car and layed out a blanket on the sand. An unsure amount of time when by because we both fell asleep. A few kids screaming and yelling 'hey, get up... GET UP" woke me up about .5 seconds before the ocean tide soaked us... Luckily we only got a little wet and nothing got ruined. It was pretty funny and I really wish I could have had video of it. So we drove around for a good while with Rich's we clothes and shoes on top of the car to dry off. Luckily my shoes and clothes were in the car.

After we dried off we took in a game of putt-putt.

Day 4. Road Trip!! We drove up the coast toward Forks.. (that's right I said Fork, WA pictures later)
We stoped at a Qunault Rain Forest, home of the Largest Spruce Tree. Totally Beautiful!
Tree Hugger
We took a 1 mile hike trail around the forest and saw all sorts of natural beauty.

Rich standing on the under roots of a tree that fell over.
A small tree's roots growing over an old stump.
close up.

Back on the road again... Rich stopped for a snack from a wild blackberry bush along the road.
More rain forest. Tree branches were covered in a heavy thick moss.
Sea Monster.
Tree Monster
So while Rich was driving 60 in a 30mph zone through a national forest, I had to keep myself occupied so we didn't fight on our super romantic getaway... so I stuck my camera out the moon roof and snapped some shots. They turned out pretty cool.

And we found big foot.

Just before Forks we pulled off to Ruby Beach. Simply on of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I could live here.
First you have to climb over these dead trees to get to the beach. Totally worth it.
The only thing you could hear was the waves crashing on the rocks.
The beach was covered in large flat rocks and dead trees. It was an amazing place.








OK. We made it to Forks! I just had to stop, it was on the way. If you don't know why this is significant, then you havn't read or seen Twilight. Twilight is a book series takes place in Forks, WA and is about Vapires and the teen age girls who love them. The books and movie are very popular right now. Forks is just a small town, population 3100. So I thought it would be interesting to check it out. I had NO idea that it would be so Twilight CRAZY!!

After being in Forks for about 10 minutes or so, I realized that nearly every single business had something to offer all of those twilight fans out there.
This is large machenery rental company just as you enter Forks. The other side of the sign says "Used Mowers $50" But notice they also offer Twilight Signs and bumper magnets!
Twilight Headquarters is at the ACE hardwear!
At the Dew Drop Inn you can get a "Bella Suite" with creepy red comforter and black curtains.
F&P Produce welcomes Twilight Fans... and has milk, eggs and bread.
Hey, Bella shops here!


Forks Library
Town Pharmacy
Pharmacy Window. Sign Reads: Rain Rain Go Away, I want to see Edward Sparkle Today!
"Bella Bags" Small leather-ish bag things with teeth on them
Flower shop sign.

Even the Golden Gate Chinese Resturant has a Twilight Poster in the window.


Really???

Ok, so I'm not a crazy super fan. I have read the first book and seen the movie. But I mean how could I not have my pic taken with Bella's truck?
Rich took this pic no one thought it was weird.... no one.

Our last days were spent at Sol Duc Hot Spring.
We had a small cabin like this. The scenery was pretty unbeatable.We arrived too early to check in to our room so the front desk girl suggested we take a hike (literally) She suggested the Lover's Lane trail. So we decided to go for it.
At the beginning of the hike. I think it had not sunk in yet or maybe I blocked it out that the trail was 6... yes 6 miles!
one of the many cool bridges.
We got a little slap happy about 2.5 miles into it and Rich started moving hollow tree stumps around and sitting in them.
big ass tree
Fungus. At the front desk they did offer a fungus guide for only $11.99. We passed on that, so I have no idea what this is.
Long bridge
More big ass trees. Can you find Rich?
More Hiking. By this point I was starting to realize I don't really like hiking that much.
3.5 miles. We finally made it to the Sol Duc water fall. It was really beautiful.
After we were done appreciateing the falls, Rich says "I guess we go back the way we came?" I began to cry. The next 3 miles was pretty quiet and to be honest with you I may have done some complaining about how hungary, hot and tired I was and how much I think nature sucks. (allegedly) And I MAY have gone off on a tirade about how Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort should change their name to "Sol Duc: Nature Until you Wanna Puke Area" featuring a hot as hell pool that stinks like sulfer(that they call a 'natural hot spring') (allegedly)
The highlight? A bee chased Rich the last 1/4 mile back to the cabin. Yes, After hiking 6 MILES with hot, hugary, and tired (who does not tolerate being hot, hungary and tired well) he had to RUN 1/4 mile!
Honestly, I'd skip Sol Duc if you are ever in the PNW. Just go to the beach, you will not be disappointed!
Now, I'd like to take a minute and thank my amazing husband for taking me on this fabulous trip. The time we spent is very special to me and I'll hold it close when I need a happy thought to get me through a rough day. I love love love you. I'm looking forward to the next 10... and the 10 after that....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home